Full Moon Disaster…Part 2

Double Disaster

Bright and early the next morning, I set off down the obstacle course and made for the beach in the hope of finding a working phone to contact Antonia. Attempts to call her the previous evening had failed. Being stranded in the middle of nowhere is never the best place to get signal. I was desperate to warn her of the deadly route to our accommodation. She couldn’t attempt to drive it herself and would have to wait for a Jeep to pick her up.

As it turned out, I was too late. Down at the beach, I was confronted with a frightening sight. Two figures were hobbling along the sand. They turned out to be Antonia and her friend Jamie. Antonia was covered in blood. There were scratches all up her arms and on her face; blood rushed out of deep gashes that covered her legs. Unsurprisingly she was pretty shaken up.

The crazy lunatics had only gone and made their way down those wild, muddy jungle tracks on mopeds! And now Antonia’s moped was lying stranded in a bush somewhere. She put on a brave face though, got herself cleaned up and made a joke of the whole situation. To add insult to injury, the klutz then went and fell off the rope swing!

Saturday night. Excitement was at an all time high. It was Full Moon Party night! Things began particularly well as my new bracelet flew off my arm when the Jeep hit a pretty bad bump. Jamie had spent the entire truck ride talking to Sinead thinking that she was Antonia, and already our UV paint had smeared off our bodies and all over our clothes.

We finally reached the centre of the madness. I have never experienced anything like it. People screamed and roared around us as we piled out of the trucks.

“I don’t think I’m drunk enough for this yet” commented Sinead

We all agreed with her. The noise was deafening, and the state that some of the partygoers were already in was pretty disgusting. Not to be deterred, we headed into the crowd. Armed with our pretty strong buckets of Sangsom and Coke of course. The beach was a mess of straws, buckets and broken bottles. You couldn’t notice the sea for people peeing in it. And about fifty different songs were competing to be listened to.

That’s when we saw it.

“Look!! Amazing! It’s a slide!” Becky pointed to a terrifyingly high structure in the distance.

The dreaded slide of doom. Like moths to a flame, we were drawn to it. Surrounded by fire, it glowed brightly against the darkness.

“Oh I am so going on that” Antonia assured us all

We sprinted towards the slide. Disaster number two was about to unfold. I climbed up the miles of netting, along with the others. As we reached the top, I began to have second thoughts.

“I think I’m going to climb back down,” I said trembling

But it was too late. A crowd of people were pushing up behind me screaming at me to hurry up.

“Its ok” said Antonia reassuringly, “We’ll go down together”

So that’s what we did.

As we zoomed down the slide I got a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something told me that this was not going to end well. We flew through the air at an alarming rate. The seconds we were up there felt like hours.

Inevitably, we came to a crashing halt. Then, there was a loud crunch

“Shit! Are you ok?” asked Antonia

“Urm…. No. Not really” I whispered, the pain causing my eyes to fill with tears.

Somehow my foot had managed to get lodged behind me as we landed. And now Antonia was sat on it! I couldn’t stand up and was roughly flung out of the way by a random stranger before the next people came crashing down the slide.

Kristin made me an ice pack from Francis’s t-shirt and a bucket of ice. Then I ran away. Or should I say hobbled. I was like a dying dog wanting to be alone! I ended up at one of the many medical stops on the beach, where I paid 300 baht for a crappy bandage, an unwanted massage from a random drunk and the expert advice to go home and rest.

“Bollocks to that” I thought “You only get to go to a full moon party once!”

And so with alcohol as my pain relief, I battled on, for 7 hours, dancing on what turned out to be a fractured ankle.

The next day, back at Mai Pen Rai Bungalows, Becky, Francis, Kristin and I collapsed on the beach. The all-nighter had completely drained our energy and we were in no fit state to attempt the obstacle course just yet.

However, half an hour later, as the effects of alcohol were slowly wearing off, the pain in my ankle was becoming unbearable. I needed painkillers. Which were in the room. Up the cliff. Past the gigantic waves. Through the cave. Taking a deep breath, I struggled up to my feet. With the others still snoring away on the sand, I knew I was going to have to do this on my own. Hop by hop, I began the endurance of ultimate pain.

It turned out there was only one thing worse than trying to complete the obstacle course alone- trying to complete the obstacle course alone, with a broken ankle, whilst being chased by a wild pig. I am too emotionally scarred to talk about the events that occurred on this occasion. Lets just say I have never quite been the same person since that fateful journey.


About littlelor

Recently returned from the adventure of a lifetime, I have crazy stories to share with anyone who is interested!
This entry was posted in Thailand Adventures and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s