Hat Yai is to Thailand what Crewe is to England. An absolute shit hole! In line with our TEFL ‘heaven’ experience, we got to spend a month here…lucky us! Now if anybody ever finds themselves the misfortune of having to spend time in this oh so delightful place, I have taken the liberty of writing a list of essential survival tips. These are all things I wished someone had told me before I had to find out the hard way.
Rules for surviving in Hat Yai:
- Do not wear heels in Hat Yai. You will get mistaken for a prostitute.
2. Do not attempt to go to a bar. You will end up in a brothel
- Do develop the mindset of a hamster. Then running up and down the stairs everyday will not seem so bad.
- Do not eat. It will make you ill. And unable to move.
- Do make sure you get off a motorbike taxi on the correct side. This is to avoid the dreaded Thai Tattoo becoming burnt onto your leg.
- Do remember that the credit card comes out of the cash point last. Richard!
- Do avoid cooking raw meat at the BBQ place. You will probably poison yourself.
- Do be aware that there will be the occasional bomb threat.
9. Do try your best to enjoy terrible karaoke. You will be hearing a lot of it.
- Do develop superhuman lungs of steel. Living here is probably worse for your lungs than smoking 50 packs of cigarettes a day.